Daytrips from Reykjvík offers you a chance to see nature, adventures but still get back to Reykjavík at night. We are going to suggest four day trips this summer from Reykjavík that we love, with our favourite stops and each trip has a theme. This is the first one, full of beautiful scenery and local fun.
The “non-tourist“ trip – 156 KM
On this route you will see churches, amazing landscape and geothermal nature.
THEY WAY: Turn to the left of the Reykjanesbrautinni highway before coming to the factory in Straumsvík, the exit is called Krísuvík. Road 5 is then driven for a while and after you drive pass Kleifarvatn lake you take a turn towards the town Þórlákshöfn, into road 427. From Þorlákshöfn you drive to the next town Eyrabakki and then from there to Selfoss and then Hveragerði. Finally you drive back home to Reykjavik on Highway 1, on the ringroad.
TAKE WITH YOU: swimwear, hiking boots, warm jacket, water bottle and camera.
IDEAS FOR STOPS:
– Kleifarvatn – a beautiful and deep lake where you can fish and possibly see the monster that lives in the lake!
– Geothermal field – Seltún – Beautiful hikes in between geothermal geysers in the area.
– Strandarkirkja church– said to be good luck to give coins to the church.
– Hendur í höfn cafe – a lovely cafe at Unubakki in the town Þorlákshöfn
– Þorlákshöfn Swimmingpool – new and nice swimmingpool, slopes, steambaths and more.
– The Red house- excellent menu, we love the lobster.
– Laugabúð Eyrarbakka shop – we recommend the drink Sínalco with a liquorice straw and some pastries in this historic shop.
– Art Museum in Hveragerði – always interesting shows going on.
– The little cafe shop – a nice vibe in this unique road cafe. Great for some coffee and a „kleina“ pastrie on the way back.
And remember to follow your instincts, take weird turns and stop wherever your heart tells you
Have a nice trip!